HOW MUCH WATER YOU SHOULD BE DRINKING?
We see many people asking around questions like how much water should I drink in a day for healthy glowing skin or what are the health benefits of drinking enough water in a day? So we thought let’s take a look at what research and experts have to say on that and clear all the myths related to drinking water.
The importance of water is a myth. Some people say, drinking an adequate amount of water daily is good for your overall health from digestion to weight management, from healthy skin to excretion but there have not been many studies that show the exact impact of water let alone defining the amount to be taken every day.
While hydrating for better skin might make sense as our skin is 64% made up of water but there’s very little research out there to justify the importance of water for skin or declare it as a myth also. What we have are only the mere viewpoints from the experiences of people.
Many big celebrities have often attributed the secret of their supple, hydrated and glowing skin to the water. Jennifer Aniston, (a.k.a. Rachel in Friends) says drinking water helps her in looking youthful and ageless. However, this is such a trend that every other person in the beauty business gives importance to water whether it’s some packaged mineral water or regular water but for a hydrated skin drinking a lot of water is absolutely necessary.
But again, the big question is how much water we should drink?
One study, published in 2010 tried to clear out the myth and studied the impact of drinking 2.25L of water every day on people for four weeks and it found out that drinking this much water alters skin density and thickness, but the exact results were contradictory. Another study conducted in 2015, found out that higher water inputs in one’s regular diet might positively impact normal skin physiology, as expressed by its hydration and biomechanical behaviour, and in particular in those individuals with lower daily water consumptions. However, if your skin looks better, what does it matter if the research has confirmed the benefit or not?
Many dermatologists have also focused on the importance of drinking at least 1.6-2 litres, which is an ideal amount to keep your body hydrated. Given that the skin is the largest organ in our body, it is not like that if drink more water it will keep skin more hydrated. The excess water will get excreted from the body very easily and will not be diverted to our skin. Drinking about 2 litres will save your extra effort to drink more and keep your skin and body hydrated by the ideal amount.
We did research amongst our consumers to find out how many of them drink the specified quantity of water and found out only 23% of people drink 2 litres or more than it. And those were the customers who had fewer problems like acne, dehydrated skin compared to the other 77%. So we suggest you make it a routine to drink atleast 2 litres of water every day and the see the effects yourself.